Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jnovipea/public_html/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jnovipea/public_html/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How to handle rule breaking...
L*
Gianfar General

Rules
     Summary
     Visitors
     Estate and Sim
     RolePlay
     Dress
     Website Rules

About The Peaks
     Roles
     Rentals
     Notices
     Events
     Story Lines

Dragons of Pern
     About DoP

Friends & Associates
     Grendel's
     Isle of Wyrms
     NCI

Helpful Toys
     Time Zones

* Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Sunday Meeting notes are here!

Know something we ought to talk about? An idea, a suggestion, a complaint... add it to the Agenda thread, or contact Vee inworld. Even if you can't make the meeting, we'll discuss anything relevant. (And usually a few things that aren't.)

Recent stories:

Some items may be for registered players only, sorry

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: How to handle rule breaking...  (Read 2178 times)

Pages: [1]
Print

*****Varian

on: October 12, 2014, 10:09:50 PM How to handle rule breaking...

• Administrator
  • Varian - expect anything...
There's been a couple of issues recently with players telling other players they were breaking rules, or not to do things...

This tends to cause friction, annoyance, and, ultimately, Vee getting p*ssed, which is something we all want to avoid. Trust me on this. This demon's a bitch.

So I thought I'd explain how to handle things when you think someone is behaving badly in RP, or breaking a rule, or griefing us, or whatever.  Cool

There are three categories of potential rule-breaking:
  • Griefing or building in our sims
  • Breach of TOS
  • Breaking our rules

Griefing or building
This one's easy.
Call for a Guardian. The Guardians are our landgroup officers, they have the powers and they know the rules. If actual griefing is going on, AR the individual as well (see next section); if it's not griefing or ad-spamming, LL will ignore it - these are private sims, anything else is our problem.

Breach of TOS
If you suspect a breach of TOS (LL's rules, which we're all signed up to), you have two not-exclusive choices:

1. Abuse Report (AR). Bypass Gianfar admin and report it to the Lindens. Please don't do this for suspected clothing-rules violations. The rules for M-rated sims aren't as clear-cut as we'd all like to think, and one possible outcome from a 'nudity' AR is Gianfar getting a forced A rating, which could take months to clear up!
Go to your viewer's 'Help/Report Abuse...' menu option, and fill out the form. Make sure there's a relevant screenshot, select the perp (if you're not sure who, select Governor Linden - LL will understand you mean 'I don't know who'), include any relevant chatlogs (the rules about not sharing don't apply to AR's - and LL have access to all chatlogs anyway). Submit your report. And then leave it alone. LL won't tell you what happened to your AR. But they will read it, and act on it if they feel it's worth acting on.

2. Treat as Gianfar rule breach Because TOS is included in our rules, too.

Breaking our rules
This one's easy, too. Call for an admin. It's not your job to call people out. Ask for an admin - preferably one in whose jurisdiction the offence lies, but any admin in a pinch - and ask them to look into it. (Don't ask for me, Mist, Wyn or Elaya - see below. But any other admin who's online should come.)
Unlike LL, our admins will tell you what they decided. If you disagree with the outcome, contact Mist and arrange to explain your issue to me. But remember: I appointed the admins, I wrote the rules; I'm unlikely to overrule them. And my decision is final.
(Wyn is my co-owner, Elaya is the weyr senior admin, and Mist is my Steward and right hand; I trust them, their decision is effectively as final as mine. That's why you don't contact one of us first. If you do, we'll just ask another admin to look into it.)

As a rule, we don't ban, censure or otherwise sanction people for anything they do outside Gianfar. But there are exceptions to this, which fall under the general heading of 'except when I say so'. Known, proven griefers from elsewhere may be estate-banned. Stalkers, ditto. We don't bar people because their RP isn't good enough, or because they offended someone somewhere else. Exceptions are decided by Wyn and myself, acting together; like bans, they should be recorded in the forums, in a place where all Guardians can see the reasons. (Yes, we do keep records, however badly!)

So, in summary: don't go after rule-breakers, or people whose RP you consider to be too unbelievable or too poor; and don't start arguments in local or group chat. (You can start them here, if you like!) If it's ARable, AR it. If it's not, talk to an admin. (And if it's a griefer, call for a Guardian and AR it!)

Any questions?

Smiley

- Varian
Lady Holder Gianfar
(Pern geek, etc.)
"We are everywhere, for your convenience." - Psi Corps, Babylon 5

View Profile

**Star

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 11:20:45 PM Re: How to handle rule breaking...

• Gianfar Resident
Would you mind if I added this to our RP class?
And can I get a list of guardians to put with this?
Thanks,
Star
View Profile

*****Varian

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 11:45:38 PM Re: How to handle rule breaking...

• Administrator
  • Varian - expect anything...
By all means! Guardians hold the Officer or Owner roles in Novi Peaks; from memory, that includes me, Wyn, Ludo, John, Rod, Mist, Elaya, and probably a few others (we need to revise that list, take off absent Guardians and add some more group owners). RP admins aren't automatically Guardians, or vice versa. All Estate Owners and Managers are Guardians, but - because there's only 10 Estate Manager slots, some of which Wyn & I reserve for our alts - not all Guardians are Estate Managers.

- Varian
Lady Holder Gianfar
(Pern geek, etc.)
"We are everywhere, for your convenience." - Psi Corps, Babylon 5

View Profile

**Star

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:09 AM Re: How to handle rule breaking...

• Gianfar Resident
Thanks   Grin
View Profile

**Mist

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 04:09:32 PM Re: How to handle rule breaking...

• Gianfar Resident
am so making a nc of this.. very awesome!
thank you Vee!
View Profile

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Endar template 1.0 © www.Endar.org - Images & Content copyright of www.GianfarPeaks.com.

TinyPortal v0.9.8 © Bloc | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines