Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jnovipea/public_html/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!
L*
Gianfar General

Rules
     Summary
     Visitors
     Estate and Sim
     RolePlay
     Dress
     Website Rules

About The Peaks
     Roles
     Rentals
     Notices
     Events
     Story Lines

Dragons of Pern
     About DoP

Friends & Associates
     Grendel's
     Isle of Wyrms
     NCI

Helpful Toys
     Time Zones

* Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Sunday Meeting notes are here!

Know something we ought to talk about? An idea, a suggestion, a complaint... add it to the Agenda thread, or contact Vee inworld. Even if you can't make the meeting, we'll discuss anything relevant. (And usually a few things that aren't.)

Recent stories:

Some items may be for registered players only, sorry

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!  (Read 5045 times)

Pages: [1]
Print

****Del

on: June 19, 2008, 01:33:35 AM Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Scripters
Hello everyone -

Let me start off by saying that despite rumors to the contrary, I'm not actually involved with planning for the Gather in anything other than an advisory role.  I'm happy to take a look at anything anyone feels they want a second opinion on, but a part of good leadership is giving people the authority to match their responsiblity.  I don't feel it's my place to jump into all the hard work you folks are doing.  On the other hand, I'd like to slip on my "sr. officer" hat for just a second and make a suggestion to everyone, if I could.

It's become evident that there is a bit of miscommunication with regard to planning for the Gather.  I think some of the miscommunication could be very simply resolved if we would just make more use of the forums.  Soo and I talked it over, and we agree that it's important that everyone who wants to be involved beyond simply playing the game should use the forums here as the primary communication link.  In-game meetings just seem prone to leaving people out of the loop, leading to the issues we've had recently.

Wendy has done a great job in posting the logs of the in-game meetings that occurred -- that's a huge, huge help, even for those that were present at the meeting.  I'm not sure, however, if any other communications that have taken place have been disseminated.   So, with that, I would suggest that there are two things we need to have happen:

• First and foremost, we need to know who is coordinating what in the Gather.  I am positive not everyone who is involved in planning knows who else is involved, because I've spoken with quite a few of you.  I would strongly suggest that each of the major groups (healers, dolphineers, hold, harpers, weyr, etc.) have at least one person responsible for coordinating the activities that originate with their group.  My understanding is that Jaxx is responsible for the overall planning of the Gather, so here on the forums would be a logical place for the group coordinators to submit their ideas to her.
  • Secondly, I would suggest that each person who is coordinating an area come up with a proposed "timeline" of what they would like to have happen during the Gather.  In that way, working with Jaxx and the other coordinators, you can ensure that all of our members can be involved in all of the activities that are taking place.  Also, keep in mind that due to the different time zones, you'll need to have sets of activities that span the whole day.  While we certainly want the membership at large to be surprised by the RP events that occur throughout the day, everyone who is running the show "behind the curtain" should be aware of what everyone else is going to be doing and when.

Not related to the above, and it's just a suggestion (remember, I'm not one of the planners!), but I think it might be worthwhile to have the event start in the individual areas (halls, hold, weyr, etc.).  The "day" would begin as just another day in Pern, but with the excitement of the Gather to come when the day's work is done.  This would give the group leaders (craftmasters, etc.) the chance to have an "orientation" (all roleplayed) to what their group is about.  Simply having a greeter with landmarks to give out at the rez point will allow new folks to get where they are most interested in going.  I know that one of the problems I'm facing as weyrlingmaster is that no one will even have saddles yet -- nor will they have the faintest idea how to fly them.  I need some RP time with the weyrlings before they will really be able to participate in any RP events during the Gather-proper.  It also has the advantage that it might distribute the initial sim load a bit better.  Again, this is just a suggestion, but I know it would help me out, and I bet it would help the other group leaders out as well.  I see it as being up to the Gather committee to decide, though.

I'm looking forward to following the discussions, and if I can be of any help to anyone -- in any capacity -- please don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards,
Del

View ProfileWWW

*****Soo Novi

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:22:25 AM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Administrator
Del,

First, I moved this out of Gather Grounds because not everyone has access to the Gather Grounds and, while it's probably a good idea for the planning of the Gather to be just for folks who are actually doing the planning, I'd like for more people to be able to see who is doing what.

If for some reason any of you would like a "private" board to plan "surprise" events on, simply let me know what you need and who you need to have access to it and I'll make a board for just that group of people.  We HAVE the technology for temporary boards! 

Wink

That said, this is a fabulous idea.  I have told many of the leaders, would be volunteers, and just about everyone that I can spend time with that the REASON we have this website is so we won't have to make extra groups.  Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, complains about needing extra groups and it's not uncommon for the folks who do the most work to have the least number of groups available.  We have two choices, make more groups or use the forums.  The forums won and, while I hate to be a hard-ass, the simple truth is that if someone is not willing to use these forums then they are not willing to do what needs to be done to get the job done - and we can't use them.  Thank you very much for your offer to help, but trying to communicate with you will just increase our burden rather than reduce it.

The forum enables us all to get on the same page, in a time frame that is most convenient for each person.  It enables me to check in during the day at my lunch, when I can't log into SL, to see if anything needs sooner attention.  It enables people to tell the folks who float through saying "if there's anything I can do...." where to go to get up to speed without wasting countless hours on multiple people trying to bring them up to speed.  And it's a good vetting process.  "If you mean anything then surely reading some posts to get up to speed without needing to be spoon fed is not too much?"

There are several of the management groups in the sims that have been told outright, "participation on the forums is required."  Merchants MUST join the website.  Residents MUST join the website.  Admins and rp leaders MUST join the website.  Failure to be aware of something that is posted on the website, especially if a request to make sure you read it gets run through the in-world group, will never be a valid reason for not knowing.

You don't have to be a posting hound.  You don't have to respond to every post, or read every post.  If you don't want to be a leader, or participate other than in the roleplay then you don't have to ever open the forum (although looking at the news and articles on occasion is still a good idea) and that's fine too.  But if you want to do more than be a roleplayer, your team needs you to use the tools that are available to you.

I'd like to know what you folks are thinking of doing.  I'd like to be able to gently guide an idea that is close to on target, but not "quite" right.  I'd like to have a place where I can respond to your questions and be able to touch more than just one of you, and not wonder if the "post office" effect will come into play as the info is verbally transferred down the line.

I'm going to make this post a sticky for a while in the hopes that more folks will see it and participate.  Folks should also feel comfortable starting their own threads - and if you need folks to check in then let someone who is an officer in DoP know that you need a notice sent to the group with a link to your post or thread so folks know it's there and that it needs attention.

“The more you love, the more you can love—and the more intensely you love.  Nor is there any limit on how many you can love.  If a person had time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and just.”  ~ Robert Heinlein's character Lazarus Long

View ProfileWWW

**Ludo Merit

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:01:42 AM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Gianfar Resident
I am very frustrated because I am not healthy enough right now to be a gather organizer or take a leadership role. I will use this opportunity to post what I know about the gather in the area of games, since that's what I offered to run before my health problems hit me yet again.

I just found a couple of simple games that a board gamer person, Derek? Thunders, made. One is the Royal Game of Goose, a race game popular in the middle ages. It is inexpensive and run mostly by touch. A menu is used only for starting the game - setting number of players and that sort of thing.

It is a fun game that can involve as many as eight players and is only 100 Lindens, and I am sure it would be popular later as well as during the gather. The disadvantage for the gather is that if you want to give prizes for games, this one has no skill involved.

He has another game called swap 'em that is pure skill. He is willing to retexture it to a Pern theme - I suggested firelizards versus tunnelsnakes. It is played solo but high score is recorded, so it would be easy to give a prize to the high scorer. It also is run by touch. I recommend the swap 'em 15 version, I believe it is the same price as swap 'em 8, 125 lindens. If you want this game, I would be happy to help Derek? with the textures.

I do not recommend chess, because I think it might be laggier than most games. I plan to get someone to make dragon poker but we probably won't be able to get that before the gather. I'm  w0rking on the odds now. Chess, checkers, backgammon, tarok, and many race games were played in Bitra. With each other they played games of skill because they were so good at rigging games of chance. They saved more Earth games than the other Pern groups did, but we saved even more than they, according to our own backstory.

Derek? is working on other games that either are medieval or could be Pernized. I gave more info on games to Jaxx recently.

Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:13:26 AM by Ludo Merit

View Profile

*randy thor

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:46:02 AM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

As a member of the gather planning and implementation committee, I am glad to see any and all suggestions from both leaders, and any member of the populace at large concerning things to do at the Gather. Soo, if a board is made for the leaders to post for special surprise activities, I would like to have access to it and help them with the planning. I'm sure Jaxx would too. We haven't  had a committee meeting in a bit so I'm not sure at this moment who else is eve on the committee, but i know that things are moving along through planning. I also stand firmly behind Del's suggestion of the Gather starting in each area and then we go from there. That way I feel we are all definitely part of the world and ready for an in-world party rather than just popping in casually as we are want to do in most other cases here in SL. I know of some things planned already that leaders should be aware of and am glad to share, just not with the general populace so as to not ruin it. I am also around on SL a lot during my (1 hour past SL time) day and am glad to speak to anyone. I want this to be a happy fun time for all, not an angst filled problem as it has been a couple of times already. No need ot say more than that about it. Lets just all get it together and enjoy this. javascript:void(0);
View Profile

*****Varian

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:07:33 PM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Administrator
  • Varian - expect anything...
Clearly, there has been some miscommunication somewhere. Jaxx has the list of who's doing what; can I suggest that anyone who wants to do anything for the Gather talks to her, first?  There do seem to be too many people ('too many' being any number greater than zero!) planning on doing their own thing, who are going to be very surprised when they find out that we haven't given them any space to do their own thing, because we didn't know...

Not related to the above, and it's just a suggestion (remember, I'm not one of the planners!), but I think it might be worthwhile to have the event start in the individual areas (halls, hold, weyr, etc.).  The "day" would begin as just another day in Pern, but with the excitement of the Gather to come when the day's work is done.

Good idea for the RP'ers who happen to be in the same time zone; not so good for the newbs and visitors we're trying to attract. Let's work this one out.  I figure the gather's probably going to run 12 hours (to hit all our timezones), it's unlikely we'll all be online at the beginning. But I'd like to RP some pre- (and post-) Gather Hold threads (even if they actually play half-way through the Gather!)

Secondly, I would suggest that each person who is coordinating an area come up with a proposed "timeline" of what they would like to have happen during the Gather.

We can do that once we have a target date, so we can start pressganging  recruiting 'volunteers' for the day.  Wink

- Varian

- Varian
Lady Holder Gianfar
(Pern geek, etc.)
"We are everywhere, for your convenience." - Psi Corps, Babylon 5

View Profile

****Del

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:31:31 PM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Scripters
Hello Varian!

Clearly, there has been some miscommunication somewhere. Jaxx has the list of who's doing what; can I suggest that anyone who wants to do anything for the Gather talks to her, first?

Exactly, but what we're asking is for them to contact her *here* and not in-game.  All of our planning communciations need to be done through the forums so that everyone is on the same page. 

I know neither Soo nor I has seen that list.  We don't really need to see it, but I also know that there are people on the Gather committee who have also not seen that list, and that fact has been causing some problems.  Hence the need for a little intervention, is all...

There do seem to be too many people ('too many' being any number greater than zero!) planning on doing their own thing, who are going to be very surprised when they find out that we haven't given them any space to do their own thing, because we didn't know...

Agreed, and yet another reason for everyone to be on the same page.  That said, some rumors have reached me in this regard (in particular regarding the dragons) that are nothing more than that -- rumors.  Soo and I are trying to avoid some of the issues associated with the misinformation that can't help but arise when we start playing "telephone". :-)

Good idea for the RP'ers who happen to be in the same time zone; not so good for the newbs and visitors we're trying to attract. Let's work this one out.  I figure the gather's probably going to run 12 hours (to hit all our timezones), it's unlikely we'll all be online at the beginning. But I'd like to RP some pre- (and post-) Gather Hold threads (even if they actually play half-way through the Gather!)

Again, I agree.  I would think you will have to scatter these things throughout the day.  I'm open to any solution the Gather committee comes up with, but at least in my area, it's a problem that needs to resolved in some way.  I have certain logistical issues that need to be addressed, but beyond that I'll roleplay whatever the Gather committee needs for the larger picture.

We can do that once we have a target date, so we can start pressganging  recruiting 'volunteers' for the day.  Wink

Well, that's up to the folks on the committee, naturally, but I think that the event is such a big deal that not getting started now would be a mistake.  There's nothing in a target date that prevents preparing a timeline for the day, whenever that day occurs.

Incidentally, I'm going out of town with my family in a couple of hours and probably won't have internet access.  I'll be back sometime Saturday evening.

Take care,
Del

Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:34:38 PM by Del

View ProfileWWW

***WendyFoxchase

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 04:14:08 PM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Sim Officer
In the interests of clarity: Randy Thor logged the first meeting and passed it to me on a NC for uploading. Buckaroo Mu logged the second meeting and passed it to me.  Wink

Life is a playground. Play!

View Profile

*****Soo Novi

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 05:00:25 PM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Administrator
Now that I don't have sleep in my eyes I see that Del had this thread in a good spot for it to begin with, "The Gather Grounds."  I was thinking it was in The Round Tables, which are permission only.

Oh well, I'll keep it here for now to reduce confusion.

“The more you love, the more you can love—and the more intensely you love.  Nor is there any limit on how many you can love.  If a person had time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and just.”  ~ Robert Heinlein's character Lazarus Long

View ProfileWWW

***Buckaroo Mu

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:08:49 PM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Sim Officer
  • Geek of all trades
News from the Weyr:

We have three events in the planning, and are coordinating with Jaxx and her team and Varian for timing (and permission). First and Third, we will have a "clearing of the heights" - dragons flaming away any growth on the peaks of the hold and the baths section of the Weyr. This gives time for the Gather Guests to see flaming dragons in the sky. I have several very nice sculpted trees that I can script to "disappear" when burned by the old breath weapon, or I can work with Del to support the new one.

The middle event - I'd like to schedule it sometime in the middle, so that the majority of people can see it - is "Eyes Only", and will be a surprise to most of the Gather Guests. Only Jaxx, some of the dragons, and some of the CraftMasters will know about it before it begins. Duration is expected to be about 30 minutes, and it should be exclusively scheduled - many dragons in the air will cause appreciable lag, I think. And no, it's not threadfall.

In addition, Dragons will be on-call to transport dignitaries (Lord & Lady Holders and Craftmasters, primarily, but we'll make exceptions) from any starting point to the Gather Grounds. IM myself (Buckaroo Mu) on Gather Day to arrange transportation. Dragons willing to provide such transport must have a saddle capable of carrying two people- the rider and the guest.

Everything else (and some of the above) is still in flux. Del and I and Wendy will be planning to have a meeting at some point with any dragons and riders to begin training, we're working on some of the planning for that now (slowly, on my part).
View Profile

*****Varian

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 11:19:21 PM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Administrator
  • Varian - expect anything...
And note from the Hold:

Volunteers for Games, Street Performers & Greeters, and anyone rp'ing a Hold character in the Gather, will be invited to take a small part in the 'mystery' event. There will be no advance prep or info, this will be entirely improv on our part. Just be around when it starts...

- Varian
Lady Holder Gianfar
(Pern geek, etc.)
"We are everywhere, for your convenience." - Psi Corps, Babylon 5

View Profile

***Meissa

Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 03:28:16 PM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

• Hall Leaders
  • Masterharper
I'll be maintaining the stage events, and coordinating volunteers to man the Improv game set up on stage, and also to do live performing. I still have to chat with Buck about the feed, but the floor will mostly just be open and improved. Jaxx communicated theres going to be a dinner toward the end of the gather, and I think I'll focus a few performers for afterwards since everyone knows a party ends with dancing and drinking until collapse from exhaustion or drunkeness.

I'm also setting up 10 hidden firelizard eggs for an ongoing hunt throughout the gather. It will just be a fun prize for people to search for during other events. The eggs are all set up with instructions to contact me, and I'll place them and send out an announcement about their existance. I imagine they'll all be found, and it's not a huge loss if they aren't. It's not a scavenger hunt or anything with clues, as I'd like to keep it equal opportunity, and avoid cheating. Wink

Otherwise I'm working in a support role for others planning events. I have juggling pins made for Varian to distribute as necessary, (Just IM me a list of people you want them sent to, or I can set you up with givers somewhere... we'll sort it out.) I'm trying to pull together whatever Jaxx requests as quickly as possible, as I know there are lots of things people want to discuss with me before green lighting and running off to their various tasks. I'm always available for harper related questions, and one of my priorities here is trying to maintain consistancy in Gianfar when it comes to keeping things IC. If we need a push for more writing, I'll pull together what I can, but I'm not going to distribute works in progress by harpers without their permission, and without clearing that it's what we plan on using in the future. I'll bring this up again if we come to such a hurdle.

Scheduling performances will be quick and dirty once I know a date, and overall layout of main events so people aren't on stage when they want to RP in something else. Buck's info is helpful, and I'll consider that. I'm a little nervous about coordinating the stage realistically, but hey, sometimes a harper just has to learn to wing it. Wait... maybe that was a dragon...

From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type. ~Oscar Wilde

View ProfileWWW

*Seshat Czeret

Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 06:10:20 AM Re: Gather Event Organizers -- Check in Here!

As I understand it, we only have two Weavercrafters at this point. I've provided some Gather Gift clothing already (with Wyn Nitely's help - it may be more accurate to say 'we' than 'I').

While I can hardly imagine that Weavercraft would ICly be running apprentice classes during a Gather, I'd be willing to run some basic classes on manipulating existing clothing or making slider-based clothing during the Gather. Probably using the freebie texture that I made, that Wyn ran with to such success.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Beyond that, Feldspar (the other Weavercrafter) and I can man our Gather booth, or walk around being Pernese at people.

Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:12:20 AM by Seshat Czeret

Weaver Master Nessamie Bellic.
Local expert on thread.

View Profile

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Endar template 1.0 © www.Endar.org - Images & Content copyright of www.GianfarPeaks.com.

TinyPortal v0.9.8 © Bloc | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines